The Neuendorf Redan was built as part of  the fortifications systems Emperor Franz to the left bank of the Rhine  and protected - together with other works oft the systems - the  north-east line of the Fortress Koblenz.

Engineer Captain  Cornely, the Redan arrow-shaped field-work) was constructed in form of a Neo-Prussian redoubt with underground galleries, ditches, batteries  bridges and ramps as well as fortifications above ground which were  several stories high. The central building was the Redoubt (independent  work in major fortification and for flank protection the Orillon  (Frenche; ear: semicircular flank work) a semicircular flank work. The  top corner of the works was protected by a mortar battery and a  guardcasemate (Bonnet).

Below the main rampart lay a  spacious casemate corps with an Escarpe (slope). Below the outer  fortification was the counter-slope with the mine gallery (each about  100 meters long) and the listening galleries (about 10 meters  long).Between the counter-slope and the slope was a dry main ditch, 6  meters deep and 17 meters wide.

The semicircular Redoubt and  the Orillon were strengthenend to withstand bombs and was used by the  soldiers as acommodations. After completion of the Redan, troops of two  infantery regiments immediately occupied the fortress.

Presumably in 1911, the works were razed and the conostrucition of the Train Barracks began.

The ditches were filled and  only the spacious underground galleries were - except for a small part - preserved in their former shape until today.

Promotion Society

Busines premises
Andernacher Strasse 100
D-56070 Koblenz
Tel/Fax: 0049 (0) 261 / 806 768 

Thomas Dillenburg
Gartenstrasse 128- 56337 Eitelborn

Guides tours

Guided tours only upon request an upon announcement in the local press.

Lease keep your valid ID-card or passport available for entry of military area.


By decision of the Vienna Congress, the Rhine Province came to Prussia  in 1815. In order to secure the Rhine border, strong bulwarks were  constructed around Koblenz beginning in 1815. The Fortress  Ehrenbreitstein was incorporated into the new foritfications systems.  According to  plans made by the Prussian General von Aster the following fortresses were erected: Fortress Emperor Franz north of the mouth of  the Moselle. Fortress Emperor Alexander on the Karthause, Pfaffendorf  Heigths, Fortress Ehrenbreitstein on the right bank of the Rhine and the Cidadel of Koblenz.

ModellNF Blick auf linke Spitze Grabenwehr_neu
Postkarte NF
Blick in den Gang ab Gtabenwehr
Neuestes Bild eines Horschgangs 2005
facebook twitter


Neuendorfer Flesche


[Start] [Festung] [Flesche] [Förderkreis] [Infos] [English] [Links] [Impressum]

© by Förderkreis Neuendorfer Flesche Koblenz (2001-2020) Letzte Aktualisierung am 01.01.2020